The other day, someone asked me what the core business of a good manager should be. It was an excellent question, and one that I feel a great amount of passion for. I took a few moments and tried to distill my thoughts into a brief set of principles. So here goes – my list of the things a good manager must do well:
1. Work with the senior executive and the team to set the team objectives.
2. Organize the right people to tackle those objectives.
3. Listen, teach and coach. Don’t micro-manage.
4. Remove barriers to success for the team wherever possible.
5. Absorb a lot of the noise and stress from above and outside so the team is freed up to achieve its goals.
6. Report on successes and challenges, objectives and outcomes.
I am interested in your lists and thoughts as well. Please get in touch and let me know what you think. Feel free to comment here or be in touch with me privately via the Contact tab on this page. I am also available to speak to your teams and groups on this topic – one that I am very passionate about!